Thursday, January 24, 2013

I'm a shaman?

Recently...I told a friend I was a shaman...or he told me I was a shaman...or we told each other, I'm not really sure anymore.

I came to this realization as I was reading course material for the life coach course/journey I am getting ready to embark upon. I've always been drawn to some sort of healing profession and as a child, thought I wanted to be a doctor.  This desire dissolved when my grades in chemistry did not indicate that I would be safe for other human beings in that capacity.  In retrospect, i think I would have done quite well in the anatomy and more advanced classes, so maybe it wouldn't have been so bad after all as long as I wasn't going into pharmacy or anaesthesiology....but that sort of medicine doesn't interest me anymore, so it is just as well.

All things healing attract me...reiki, yoga, massage, mindful eating, meditation, laughter, travel, quiet, sharing, gratitude, charity, love...you get the gist.  So as I am reading Martha Beck's books...and she is talking about meeting shamans, wayfinders, menders - essentially those who are born healers, I realize how deeply this resonates with me.  How very natural a concept it seems to me and how I must have known this all along, even if only subconsciously....my whole life has been leading me to this truth.

Then, I feel all tingly and special.  Unique.  Gifted.  Amazing.  Super-hero like.  I knew it!!!  I've found my destiny! At last....big sigh of joy and relief!!!!

Then, I think...I bet anyone reading this book could make these same parallels and could think they are a shaman.  Funny. Everyone can't be a shaman.  Everyone can't be special and unique like me. Can they?

Then I realize...deep inhale....that they can.  And they are.  That you are.  He is. She is. We are.  All of us.  We are all shamans.  We are all healers.  We are all connected.  We are all one.  We may be at different stages on our personal journeys, but we all have the capacity to connect, to touch, to love, to heal, to bring peace. 

We alternately all have the capacity to wound, to neglect, to harm, to burn, to wage war.  (Let's not)

We will not all realize this in our lifetimes. But there does seem to be an awakening of sorts going on in the world, or maybe I am just seeking out these types of people and experiences.  Either way...I wish you all gratitude and healing on your journeys, an open mind, and an open heart. Belief in the power of magic and the realization that magic just means love...and love just means connection - to everything...to everyone...and that everything is beautiful.  and everything and everyone IS magic.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful post. Thank you for writing this...
    Love the picture too, btw... :)

    ReplyDelete