Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sugar Bush Prayers~~

As I left work yesterday, I was struck by the most charming, endearing, humourously paradoxical sight I have seen in a while (and that is saying something in Kuwait - because EVERYTHING is a bit crazy here.)

I walked out towards my car at twilight, a word I really used to like until that vampire movie series took over the world...but I digress....I walked out towards my car, and on the grass, beside the sidewalk - was a man on his knees, praying.  I am not certain of his religion, but I could tell it was "call to prayer" time because I could hear the Imam on the loud speaker being broadcast from the minaret...

He was the first person I have witnessed openly praying in Kuwait and lest you think I am disrespectful or sacrilegious - I'll tell you why I found it touching and funny at the same time. 

You see, he was on his knees - facing in the direction of Mecca, I imagine, and had a "mat" in front of him on the ground.  Only, he didn't have an actual prayer mat.  But this man was not going to let that stop him.  No, sir.  He was kneeling in front of a color glossy advertising poster that was about 3'x2' or 2'x3'  (not sure which comes first).  And on that color glossy advert was a dancing bear and the English words "Sugar Bush", in the fanciest script complete with the "shadow and bold" effects, that  you could imagine.  I tell you I wanted to either stop and hug him or take a picture to post, but of course I just kept walking because to do ANYTHING else would have been entirely irreverent.  In the end, I just thought it was lovely.  He was alone.  He was on his knees and he was fervently praying, even in front of a makeshift "Sugar Bush" prayer mat. 

The message is obvious, but it bears repeating.  It doesn't matter where you are, or what you have - it is what is in your heart that matters.  This man didn't care and maybe didn't even know what the poster said.  He just knew he wanted to and seemed like he needed to, pray.

I wish  you all the same carefree ability to speak your heart, show your passion, and throw your truly unnecessary worries about what anyone else thinks out the window when it comes to your own need to express through prayer, painting, sculpture, writing, dancing, cloud dreaming, or loving.  Define yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment